Monday, June 18, 2012

The Knife of Never Letting Go, Chaos Walking, Book 1

Author:  Patrick Ness
Year:  2008
Publisher:  Candlewick Press
Pages:  479

Todd lives in Prentisstown on the New World. His family was part of a group of settlers to the New World sent ahead to get things ready for the other teams to follow. But life on the New World and, particularly, in Prentisstown, is all Todd has ever known. When the settlers came to the New World, something happened and the Noise began. Now, every person can hear every other person's thoughts. They can also hear the thoughts of animals. And all the women in town die. Todd is just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man which means that he'll be able to learn the secrets of Prentisstown. It'll also make him the last boy in town to become a man. Then, one day Todd and his dog, Manchee, are in the swamp when they come across a spot of complete silence. Finding the silence sets in motion events that lead to Todd having to run for his life from Prentisstown. 

This is another book that has been on my list for a very long time and the entire time I was reading this book I kept asking myself why did I wait so long to read it? Patrick Ness's writing is beautiful and poetic. I can definitely see why he has won so many awards (A Monster Calls is one of my favorite books). I love the characters in this book. Can I just say Manchee is the best sidekick ever. Ness took the time to build his world, develop his characters and to tell his story. Well, at least the part he wanted to tell right now. I can't wait to see how Ness continues to develop his identity theme in the next two books. After that cliffhanger at the end of this book, I definitely wish I had the second book now!


0 comments:

Post a Comment