Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar

Author:  Kady Cross
Year: 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen

In this follow up to The Girl in the Steel Corset, Finley Jane and her group of misfit (or unusually talented) friends set off to New York City to rescue their friend, Jasper, who was kidnapped. The villain who has kidnapped Jasper is forcing Jasper to do something for him by holding a woman Jasper once loved captive with a clockwork collar that tightens if she tries to escape. In order to help Jasper, Finley has to join up with the criminal gang in order to learn their plans so that Finley and her friends must figure out how to stop Jasper's kidnapper and rescue him at the same time.

Can I just say how much I love the steampunk aspect of this series? I think my favorite part is how seamlessly Kady Cross weaves the steampunkiness into what could easily be Victorian times and makes it feel like this is the way history happened and that it all exists. I find myself wanting to look up you tube videos and watch the dirigibles parking on top of the Empire State Building! For the setting alone, this book gets an A+. Fortunately, Cross didn't just build a super cool word. The story is pretty good too. Oh, and I love the characters. I wish Finley and Emily were among my group of friends and I would completely fall in love with Griffin. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment