Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Enjoy Every Sandwich: Living Each Day As If It Were Your Last

Author:  Lee Lipsenthal, M.D.
Year: 2011
Publisher: Crown Publishing
Pages: 133

Dr. Lee Lipsenthal was a heart doctor in California who believed in not worrying about death and in living every day to it's fullest and as if it were your last. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, this belief helped him to live with cancer and end up the loser in a fight with cancer.

I have to confess. I was expecting a straight up self-help/encouragement type book. That's not exactly what I got. The book strayed into some beliefs that I think hurt his credibility a little bit  but I'm not sure that I'm one to judge on that. I do know that I appreciated his attitude of gratitude and love. Fighting cancer takes a lot out of not only the person infected but also their family and loved ones. It's hard not to get down and hate life and God and get bitter. Instead Dr. Lipsenthal approached cancer not as a death sentence but as a new lease on life and a reason to enjoy every day.

Pay attention to the good stuff that happens every day and enjoy what is, not what should have been or what might be. Enjoy every sandwich. My life is my sandwich, and I might as well savor every bite.

0 comments:

Post a Comment