Monday, July 2, 2012

Wake, Watersong, Book 1

Author: Amanda Hocking
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication Date: 08/07/2012
Source:  ARC from publisher
Pages: 309

Sixteen year old Gemma is beautiful, athletic and lovable. She's also falling in love with the cute, geeky boy next door. Gemma's greatest passion in life, however, is swimming. She hopes to make the Olympic team. Her favorite part of each day is when she goes for her nightly swims at the cove. One night, she joins the three new girls in town, Penn, Thea and Lexi. This trio of girls is smart, beautiful, and all the guys in town fall over them. But Gemma's sister, Harper, doesn't like them and thinks there's something evil about them. When Gemma wakes up on the beach after the party with the girls, she begins to think her sister might be right. She begins changing and becomes more beautiful, a faster swimmer and stronger. 

I thought this book was OK. I wasn't sure where Hocking was going with it. I also had a hard time figuring out who was supposed to be the main character. From the back cover, it should be Gemma but she followed Harper more. Truth be told, I liked Harper better. I thought Gemma was a little selfish. Halfway through the book, I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue the series. But then Harper's relationship with Daniel started getting good and interesting and the story started picking up all the way around. By the end, I wanted more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment