Monday, July 2, 2012

Dracula

Author: Bram Stoker
Publisher: Little, Brown & Company
Year:  1897
Pages:  427

I'm not going to bother with a description of what this book is about because we all know the story. Dracula is the story that spawned all vampire books. It's been sitting in my TBR stack for years. Every time I picked it up I just kept thinking that it was so long and I wasn't sure what could possibly be said  about a vampire for that long but I finally bit the bullet and read it. I'm glad I did. First off, it wasn't all about Dracula which is what I thought. The hero of the story was actually Van Helsing. He worked with a terrific cast of characters to defeat Dracula. Stoker did a wonderful job of making Dracula very scary. He definitely wasn't a likable character. I couldn't imagine anybody feeling sympathetic towards him. Stoker told the story through diary entries of the different characters that really allowed me to get to know all the characters. My favorite character was definitely Van Helsing who I totally pictured as Hugh Jackman the entire time I was reading Dracula.

This was an A+ book that I can definitely see why so many people have tried to continue the tradition through the years.


0 comments:

Post a Comment