Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Grave Mercy

Author:  Robin LaFevers
Year: 2012
Publisher:  Houghton Mifflin

Ismae is marked as Death's child at birth. At 17, she is forced to flee to the convent of St. Mortain (Death) in order to escape a cruel, arranged marriage. The nuns at St. Mortain offer to let Ismae stay with them and they will train her as assassin for death. Basically, Ismae's job will be to kill the people who are marked by St. Mortain. Ismae is sent out on assignment with Gavriel Duval who the convent suspects of being at traitor; but, as Ismae works with him, she finds herself attracted to Duval and beginning to doubt her own assignments.

It took me a while to get into LaFevers' writing but by about 1/3 of the way into the book, I couldn't put it down. I loved the story, Ismae and, most especially Duval. I thought this was a very original story. After all, how often is our heroine a daughter of Death? I found the idea of an entire convent devoted to killing people novel. By the end of the story, I was proud of Ismae and in love with Duval. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment