Sunday, April 15, 2012

Inheritance or The Vault of Souls: Inheritance, Book 4

Author:  Christopher Paolini
Year:  2011
Publisher:  Alfred A. Knopf

Inheritance is the culmination of Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle. In this book, Eragon, Saphira and the other "rebels" are finally facing down Galbatorix. Before they're able to face him, they still have a couple of mysteries to discover. They also must obtain the extra strength needed to bring down Galbatorix and save Alagaesia. 

If nothing else, the Inheritance cycle is Christopher Paolini's ode to Tolkien. And a pretty decent tribute it is. Paolini crafts an ancient language, uses dwarves, elves, humans and an almost animalistic race. Oh, and he ends the book much the same way Tolkien ended the Lord of the Rings trilogy - with an endless series of goodbyes. I glanced back through Eragon a time or two while reading this book and Paolini's writing has definitely improved since the first book and I felt that Inheritance was a fitting end to the series. I wanted to see more of Murtagh and I wasn't exactly pleased with the way things ended with Arya but, overall, I was not disappointed in the story.

I started out listening to the audiobook narrated by Gerard Doyle who is one of my favorite narrators; however, I wasn't able to finish the audiobook. Since Brisingr I listened to all six Septimus Heap books by Angie Sage and, try as I  might, I couldn't help but hear the Septimus Heap characters speaking instead of the Inheritance characters. Sorry, Mr. Doyle. You're still at the top of my narrators list but I couldn't separate Eragon from Septimus. Plus, I was able to physically read the book a lot faster than I could listen to it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment