Sunday, January 22, 2012

Looking for Alaska

Author:  John Green
Year: 2005
Publisher:  Speak


Miles Halter hates his life at public school in Florida. He doesn't have any friends and his only life is that of memorizing people's last words. So Miles talks his parents into letting him go to Culver Creek Boarding School in Alabama where he hopes to find his Great Perhaps. There Miles meets and becomes friends with the Colonel, Takumi, Lara and, most of all, Alaska. Beautiful, funny, sexy and crazy Alaska becomes the girl of Miles' dreams and completely disrupts his life. 

I wondered if this book would live up to all the great things I'd read about it over the years. When I finally found it at a used book store a couple of months ago, I bought it without thinking twice and brought it home and sat it in the dreaded TBR pile. With the recent release of The Fault in Our Stars, I started thinking I really should read this book and, on an impulse, I picked it up yesterday. There was a little bit more drinking and smoking than what I would have liked but overall it was a beautiful and haunting story. Not haunting as in scary but haunting as in it'll come back to me at odd times for the rest of my life. I was very impressed with the way John Green worked religion and life and death and what lies beyond into the story making it more than just a love story. I also appreciated that Green left some conclusions up to the reader thus making the story a little bit different for each of us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment