Sunday, February 21, 2010

Wintergirls

Lia and Cassie were best friends but now Cassie is dead and Lia is haunted. She sees Cassie's ghost pushing her own, reminding her, making her feel guilty. Lia is obsessed with becoming thin and being the thinnest person she could be despite the obvious hazards to her own health. Her family knows there's something wrong but they don't know how to help. Will Lia be able to figure things out? Or will she just die?

This is my second Laurie Halse Anderson book. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I think my biggest problem was that I had a hard time relating to Lia. Anybody who knows me can tell you that I enjoy eating; so, I have a hard time imagining how someone could starve themselves and refuse to eat all in pursuit of being thin. But, I did feel for Lia and I wanted things to work out for her. The writing was well done and it was an easy read. I much prefer Speak to Wintergirls; however, I would recommend Wintergirls to anyone who might have an eating disorder or know someone who does.

0 comments:

Post a Comment