Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Scarecrow

OK, I've got to admit right up front that I am a huge Michael Connelly fan. I get excited everytime I see a new Harry Bosch book is about to come out. Somehow, though, in all my other reading, The Scarecrow and 9 Dragons have been languishing away in my To Be Read stack, or in this case, my To Be Listened To stack. Finally, though, I decided to treat myself and listen to The Scarecrow. This isn't a Harry Bosch novel. It's Jack McEvoy - you know the reporter from The Poet, one of Michael Connelly's early books and one of my favorites. Oh, wait, they're all favorites. ;)  The book starts out with Jack McEvoy learning that his job as a reporter for the Los Angeles Times is being down-sized and what's worse he's got to train his replacement. Jack decides to use his last two weeks to write a story that will free a 16 year old accused of murder. Turns out, Jack has stumbled upon a serial killer that has been operating under police radar for years. He ends up having to call his old girlfriend, FBI Agent Rachel Walling from The Poet, to help him find the murderer.

As I was listening to this story, I found myself wanting to drive around in circles on my way home just so that I could keep listening and find out what happens next. Peter Giles is an excellent narrator and I feel that his voice suits the character of Jack McEvoy perfectly. I wish Michael Connelly would write more Jack McEvoy novels. Of course, that would take time away from Harry Bosch so . . .  In any event, I'm glad I finally got around listening to it. 9 Dragons just might have to be my next listen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment