Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Color Purple




Author:  Alice Walker
Year:  2009
Publisher:  Recorded Books
Narrator:  Alice Walker

Goodreads Summary:

Celie is a poor black woman whose letters tell the story of 20 years of her life, beginning at age 14 when she is being abused and raped by her father and attempting to protect her sister from the same fate, and continuing over the course of her marriage to “Mister,” a brutal man who terrorizes her. Celie eventually learns that her abusive husband has been keeping her sister’s letters from her and the rage she feels, combined with an example of love and independence provided by her close friend Shug, pushes her finally toward an awakening of her creative and loving self.

So I've thought about this for a week and I'm still a bit conflicted on how I felt about this story. In my mind, I couldn't help but compare it to Their Eyes Were Watching God which is one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read and The Color Purple didn't have that lyricism and poetry in it that Their Eyes Were Watching God does. It didn't feel quite as authentic. For the first part of the book, I was completely uncomfortable which could well have been what Walker intended. I was unsure whether or nor I wanted to finish the book but it's one of those that I always felt like I should have read so I kept sticking it out to see what all the fuss was about. And then the letters started and I realized that I was crying. I wasn't just crying, I was bawling. Once the letters started, I began enjoying the book so much more. 

This audiobook was narrated by Alice Walker and, although I have seen many places where the Walker is criticized as a narrator, I didn't have any problems with it. I think that the person that read Abileene for The Help  would have been a better choice but Walker does okay. She's criticized for reading slowly but I think that Celie might be a slow talker.

Do I recommend the book? Yeah, I think everybody should read it at some point in their lives. But do I think you should run out and read it right now?  No. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment