Sunday, January 20, 2013

Tonight I Said Goodbye


Author:  Michael Koryta
Series:  Lincoln Perry, Book 1
Year:  2005
Publisher:  Blackstone Audio
Narrator:  Scott Brick

Goodreads Description:
Investigator Wayne Weston is found dead of an apparent suicide in his upscale Cleveland suburban home. His wife and six-year-old daughter are now missing. The police think the former Marine murdered them. Hoping to exonerate his son, Weston’s father hires PIs Lincoln Perry and Joe Pritchard. 
 
Perry and Pritchard soon discover there is much more lying beneath the surface, including rumors of gambling debts, extortion, and a Russian mob that likes to wield baseball bats. But just when Perry and Pritchard believe they are making swift progress, a millionaire real estate tycoon and the FBI advise them to back off of the investigation. 
 
Then without warning, another murder suddenly forces them to change direction in the case as they uncover a trail of deadly twists—but the most shocking secret of all has yet to be unraveled...


I saw Michael Koryta at the Decatur Book Festival earlier this year, he made a good impression and I decided to give one of his novels a try. Best place to start is always this beginning. This is his first book and also the first book int he Lincoln Perry series. I liked it. He did a talk with Michael Connelly so I was expecting the book to be a bit like the Harry Bosch novels and it was to a point. I think these were a bit grittier and more "Dragnet" style than Harry Bosch is. I thought the mystery was really good and it had a couple of twists in it that I didn't expect it. 

Scott Brick did a decent job narrating the book. He's not my favorite narrator but he's not bad. 

If you're fan of procedural crime novels with a bit of a dark side, I recommend this series. I will definitely be reading more Koryta in the future.


0 comments:

Post a Comment