Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Sapphire Blue


Author: Kerstin Gier
Series:  The Ruby Red Trilogy, Book 2
Year: 2012
Publisher:  Henry Holt & Company
Pages:  354

Goodreads Description:
Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.

I've had this book sitting in my TBR pile for a while. I had pre-ordered immediately after finishing Ruby Red because I simply could not wait to see what happened next. Then, the book came in and I just never got to it. I finally picked Sapphire Blue up one evening this week because I wanted to read something "easy" for a few minutes before going to bed. Four hours later, I was putting the book down after reading the entire thing. Yeah, it happens. 

This book picks up directly after Ruby Red and really covers the next few days. I honestly think that when this trilogy is over, the entire series will have taken place over the course of a couple of weeks. This story is fast paced, fun and different. I like the time travel aspects and I don't worry too much about whether or not something is plausible or if there are plot holes, I just want to have fun when I'm reading and I definitely do here. I hated that I couldn't pick up on Gideon's feelings for Gwen and figure out how what he's thinking but I guess that's good. At least Gwen and Gideon weren't immediately hopelessly in love with each other. I'm very curious to see how things are going to turn out and the mystery will be solved. 

And, of course, I immediately went and ordered Emerald Green when I finished Sapphire Blue but it doesn't come out until this fall. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment