Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Help

The Help is a beautiful story by Kathryn Stockett. It takes place in Jackson, Mississippi during the height of the civil rights unrest in the south. The story follows three women, two black maids and one white woman, as they work together writing a book about what it's like to be a black maid work for white families in the south. Not only was the story amazing, I felt like the flavor of living in the south was captured. I know it's fifty years after the time of the story, but I swear, I still saw the south that I live in today in the book.

I listened to this book and the narration was amazing. The publishers used four different  narrators to tell the story and it worked perfectly. I was in love with the characters and didn't want the story to end. I feel like if I had actually read the book, I wouldn't have become quite so connected with the characters. I highly recommend that you listen to this book instead of reading it if you have the opportunity. In any manner, I suggest that you don't pass on reading this book.

2 comments:

  1. I love your new layout!!!! Due to a virus on my old laptop, I can no longer access my old blogs. But, I've started a new one. I just have not read anything in completion yet. Also, I cannot wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest listening to it, Ashley. It's a great read. I hate to hear that about your blog. You'll have to give me the address of your new blog.

    ReplyDelete