Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It  by Susan Beth Pfeffer was the first book I read for the Books on the Nightstand DystopYA Reading Challenge.  Somehow I had never heard of this book. I ordered it from the library and rushed down to pick it up when it came in.  The first thing I thought when I got was "What a cool cover!"  Life as We Knew It follows a young high school girl, Miranda, and her family as they deal with the fallout from an asteroid colliding with the moon.  The world is thrown back into the 20th century as schools are closed, gas prices soar, the weather changes and choas ensues.  Families are left scrounging for food in freezing winters with no heat. 

The story is told in the form of a journal kept by Miranda as events unfold. The first person point of view allowed the author to pull me in very quickly.  I felt connected to Miranda.   I started reading the book at 10:00 at night intending to read just the first chapter or two before I went to bed.  Four hours later I put the book down after reading the last page.  Imagine my surprise when I learned there's a second book in the series.  I can't wait to read that one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment