Friday, April 25, 2014

The Dog Stars

Author:  Peter Heller
Year: 2012
Publisher:  Knopf
Pages:  320

Goodreads Summary:
What can I say to Bangley?
He has saved my bacon more times. Saving my bacon is his job. I have the plane, I am the eyes, he has the guns, he is the muscle.

He knows I know he knows: he can't fly, I don't have the stomach for killing. Any other way probably just be one of us.

Or none.

So that description tells you absolutely nothing about this book. I went into it knowing next to nothing about the book except that most of the people who'd read it says it's very good. The main character, Hig, is one of few survivors of a flu pandemic that has killed most humans. This is the story of Hig's survival. Bangley is his partner in survival. It's a very unique writing style that takes a bit to get in to but once I did, it ended up being an absolutely beautiful book. I loved it and could not put the book down. I've seen a number of comparisons to The Road and it is kind of the same type of story; however, The Dog Stars does not have that same dark, dire urgency as the road. The world doesn't seem quit as grim. I recommend everyone give this book a try. I think you'll like it.



0 comments:

Post a Comment