Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Book of Blood and Shadow

Author:  Robin Wasserman
Year: 2012
Publisher:  Ember
Pages:  432

Goodreads Description:
One night. One body, broken in a pool of blood.
One killer, lost in the shadows.
One girl, left behind.
Left alone, to face the consequences.
To find the truth.
To avenge the dead.

One night is all it takes to change Nora Kane's life forever. Her best friend is dead; her boyfriend has vanished. And the trail of blood leads straight back to her: The person who might be responsible. The person who might be next.  
Desperate to save the people she loves and determined to find justice for the ones she's lost, Nora unearths a dark web of secret societies and shadowy conspirators, all driven by a mad desire to possess something that might not even exist. Something to which Nora herself might hold the key. It turns out her night of blood is just one piece in a puzzle that spans continents and centuries—and solving it may be the only way she can save her own life.

I loved this book. It was a good old fashioned thriller. There were parts of it that were down right creepy scary but at the heart of The Book of Blood and Shadow was a great mystery. I am one of those people who normally picks out the murderer halfway through a book and spends the rest of the book confirming my suspicion. I can't remember the last time I was so tempted to flip to the end of a book and find out who the killer was. I spent three nights laying in bed forcing  myself not to turn to those back pages and spoil the ending. 

This was the first book I read by Robin Wasserman. I recently saw her on a panel at the Decatur Book Festival and she was talking about her newest book The Waking Dark. She was claiming that it is a horror novel reminiscent of the old Stephen King novels. I have been wanting to read a horror novel recently. Maybe I'll be picking that one up soon.


0 comments:

Post a Comment