Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Woman in Black

Author:  Susan Hill
Year:  2006 (audiobook)
Publisher: Long Barn Books
Narrator:  Paul Ansdell


So this book has been gaining a lot of popularity lately due to the release of the movie starring Daniel Radcliffe. Of course, me being me, I had to read the book before I see the movie. I decided to  listen to the audiobook. 

In this story, Arthur Kripps is an associate lawyer with a firm in London and sent to a completely out of the home of a client, Mrs. Drabelow, to settle out her estate. It should be a simple enough assignment but it turns out that her house, Eel Marsh House, is haunted by a lady in black. 

I got pure joy in this book at times from the author's word choice and the way that she described things. I wished that I was reading it so that I could mark up the book in places where where the word choice was exceptionally well. But since it was an audiobook, I can't remember any of them now just that I really liked them. The narrator was very good. I hadn't listened to him before. And, probably because I've been seeing the ads for the movie, he sounded just a bit like Daniel Radcliffe.

The book wasn't as scary as I thought it would be and the actual haunting didn't play near role that I thought it would but it was a compelling story and, to me, the ending was quite unfair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment